Tobacco Marketing and Youth: The Evidence is Clear
You may not have seen all the tobacco marketing in the stores, but your kids have. It’s right there by the register, where they check out…
- Each year in NYS, 22,500 youth become new daily smokers and 31.6 million packs of cigarettes are bought or smoked by NYS children.
- Every day, the tobacco industry spends approximately $1 million in New York State to market its products.
- Tobacco companies place most of their advertising where young people shop – in convenience stores, where 75% of teens shop at least once per week.
- There is approximately one licensed tobacco retailer for every 194 children in New York State.
- The more tobacco retailers there are near schools, the more likely children are to smoke.
There’s a lot to know and understand about how the tobacco industry markets to kids, the impact of that marketing on kids, and what we can do to stop it. Read on to learn more.
First up: What tobacco marketing is